According to the FDA and Robert’s American Gourmet Food, Inc., a popular snack food called Veggie Booty may be linked to incidents of salmonella contamination. The FDA and the Centers for Disease Control have been made aware of more than 52 cases of salmonella contamination in consumers who ingested the popular Veggie Booty snack food. The specific strain of salmonella in this outbreak is being called Salmonella Wandsworth, which is a bacteria that causes gastrointestinal illness.
Thus far more than 17 states have been affected by the recall:
California (seven cases), Colorado (five cases), Connecticut (one case), Georgia (one case), Indiana (one case), Massachusetts (three cases), Minnesota (two cases), New Hampshire (two cases), New Jersey (two cases), New York (13 cases), Oregon (one case), Pennsylvania (three cases), Tennessee (one), Texas (one), Vermont (three cases), Washington (four cases), and Wisconsin (two cases).
According to the FDA Alert:
Salmonella typically causes diarrhea (may be bloody); the diarrhea is often accompanied by abdominal cramps and fever. Symptoms typically begin within one to four days after exposure to the bacteria. In infants, persons with poor underlying health and those with weakened immune systems, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause life-threatening infections.
According to MSNBC.com:
Veggie Booty Snack Food is sold in supermarkets, health food stores, vending machines and online in the United States and Canada. It is sold in flexible plastic foil bags in 4-ounce, 1-ounce and half-ounce portions. The brand name is Robert’s American Gourmet, and all codes and expiration dates of Veggie Booty are being recalled.
The company and manufacturer is encouraging those who still have the Veggie Booty snack food to discard the item and call 1-800-626-7557 for reimbursement.
Those who have gotten sick or contracted salmonella from consuming Veggie Booty should however NOT follow this advice. It is important to keep the remaining contents, package, and/or proof of purchase as it will be evidence needed in order to pursue a claim against Robert’s American Gourmet.
Given the recent onset of contaminated foods such as peanut butter that contain salomnella, those who have become sick from eating Veggie Booty should contact one of our personal injury attorneys immediately to ensure your rights are protected.
A partner with Childers, Schlueter & Smith, LLC,, Brandon Smith has devoted his practice to pharmaceutical litigation, mass torts, products liability and serious personal injury. A frequent guest speaker at legal seminars all over the country—Brandon is focused on helping injured victims nationwide, however possible. Named a SuperLawyer again in 2019, he has also been called out as one of 10 Best Attorneys For Georgia by the American Institute Of Personal Injury Attorneys and a Top 100 Lawyer in Georgia by the National Trial Lawyers in 2019.