A Philadelphia jury recently awarded $5 million to the family of a 1-year-old infant who died from acetaminophen toxicity after three days of use. The Family argued the warning labels and directions were inadequate and not clear.
According to Law.com
For children who fit the age-and-weight description of the Dunsons’ son, the label said to call a doctor for dosage amounts, according to court documents.
After taking the drug for three days, the child was eventually brought to Children’s Hospital and later died of liver damage, according to court documents. DeCaro said that the warning labels should tell parents that liver damage is possible from taking the drug.
The eight-member jury deliberated 35 minutes before rendering its verdict. This case clearly shows that people of common sense and reason found the then existing warning to be inadequate. It also shows the dangers associated with drugs and the fatal effects they can have if not properly disclosed to the consuming public. As sad as this situation is, it takes events and lawsuits like this to get the attention of drug manufactures that routinely put profits over people. Children everywhere are now safer because of it…
A partner with Childers, Schlueter & Smith, LLC,, Brandon Smith has devoted his practice to pharmaceutical litigation, mass torts, products liability and serious personal injury. A frequent guest speaker at legal seminars all over the country—Brandon is focused on helping injured victims nationwide, however possible. Named a SuperLawyer again in 2019, he has also been called out as one of 10 Best Attorneys For Georgia by the American Institute Of Personal Injury Attorneys and a Top 100 Lawyer in Georgia by the National Trial Lawyers in 2019.
Comments for this article are closed.